1 Recipe – 2 types of protein packed snack block; multiple uses!
Snack, Travel, extra calories
Recover and Re-Build
The Base Recipe
- 65g whey isolate protein powder (flavour of choice)
- 100g ground almond meal
- 35g desiccated coconut
- 95-125ml milk of choice (unsweetened almond or hazelnut or cow’s milk)
The add-ons, add-ins and changes for your needs
Recovery Bar: So if you want a recovery bar substitute the Whey Powder for a Whey based recovery powder! The chocolate bars pictured used High5 Recovery Protein Powder. If you need or want even more carbohydrate in the mix then add some honey, maple syrup or break all the rules and sprinkle in some cane-sugar!
Orange/Chocolate Bar: I’ve added cocoa powder (the real deal) and orange zest, then substituted some of the milk with fresh squeezed orange juice to make an unreal tangy block! Chocolate-Orange with all of the gainzzz!
Vegan bar: For those who ain’t keen on tasty animal products then you can easily substitute the Whey for a Rice or Hemp Protein! Job done!
Travel Bar: If you want these guys to pack an even bigger nutritional punch or need them to be even more satiating for travel then add in some chopped goji berries, chia seeds and nuts of choice like brazil and walnuts! You’l have to adjust liquid to dry ingredient ratios though!
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl
- Measure out or weigh your milk of choice
- add a little liquid and start to mix, things will seem very dry at first but the dry ingredients will absorb the liquid slowly and start to bind
- have patience, adding and mixing slowly
- you should get a pretty workable and dry mixture after a couple of minutes
- roll the mixture into a log, sprinkle with almond meal so it is easy work
- roll it out and cut into discs; shape those discs into blocks as pictured
- refrigerate for up to 1 hr
- they are ready to roll at any time, but once out of the fridge you can coat with dark chocolate or a chocolate and yogurt mix and it will set fast
- The base recipe is key – you can go wild with modifications to suit your needs
This recipe makes about 6 to 7 blocs – double or triple as needed!
Freeze, refrigerate for up to 1 week! These go great as a quality snack after training with a coffee, in the back pack for the long missions or rides (perfect after the 3hr mark) or as a travel stop-gap when jammed with seeds and nuts!
Imagination is only limitor!